Tuesday, July 24, 2012


Our 7th Park in our 5th States was Harry S Truman Historical Site, in Independence, MO.  The house is located at 219 Delaware Avenue in Independence, MO.  http://www.nps.gov/hstr/index.htm


In order to tour the home you must first get a $4 ticket at the Visitor's Center 5 blocks blocks from the house at 223 N. Main St. Independence, MO.  After nosing around the home and not being able to gain access you can see I was glad to finally find the Visitor's Center.  Admission is free with the Senior Pass and is also good at the Truman Farm which is located in Grandview, MO


All stamps, so far, have only been available at the Visitor's Center.  (I am working on getting my legs tan.  How do you think I am doing? )  This Visitors center had a video telling about the Truman's and what we were going to see in the home.


"I tried never to forget who I was and where I'd come from and where I was going back to...
After nearly eight years in the White House and ten years in the Senate, I found myself right back where I stated in Independence, MO."


I thought it was confusing and inconvenient that the home was 5 blocks from the Visitor's Center.  I also thought it was bad that there was very little cross merchandising with the Truman Presidential Library.  I understand that it is a different department and not run by the National Parks Service, but does the general public care??  They both compliment each other and you should see both.

Upon our arrival at the home we were welcomed by Clarence for our private guided tour of the home.  This is the only home the married Truman's every lived other than the White House.  It is as nearly as possible the same as it was when Bess passed.  Their daughter Margaret straighten it up, set the dining room table and it was donated.  It vividly show that the Truman's were humble and modest and being President did little to change that.  I was once again impress with a Park Ranger. I was very impressed with Clarence's knowledge and enthusiasm for this historical site.  He made the trip worthwhile.  (Still working on that tan!)


Harry and Bess Truman, front porch, 219 Delaware, Independence, MO  1953


Missy and Roger, front porch, 219 Delaware, Independence, MO  July 24, 2012


I really appreciate that we have people who have kept and preserved Historical Sites such as this.  This is not the best park you will ever visit but we are a better and wiser people for having it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment